I love being a parent; nourishing myself and family with real food, home learning with my 3 children, and doing my part to participate in conscious communities. My mission is to use my education and experience to support parents in making fully informed choices for their postpartum periods and breastfeeding journeys.
I am a mother of three children. Following the home birth of my first in January of 2009 I suffered from postpartum depression and struggled for months with breastfeeding challenges. You can read his birth story here. My healing journey led me to discover the importance of the breastfeeding relationship, placenta encapsulation, and the role of community in parenting. I became passionate about supporting families through the most important process of their lives: birth and the journey of becoming parents. I began to offer placenta encapsulation services in 2010.
Alongside my own breastfeeding experiences I began to volunteer my time supporting others to meet their breastfeeding goals. Then, I nourished my love for learning by becoming a Certified Breastfeeding Specialist, and in April of 2016 I passed the exam to be an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC). I fell in love with the whole art and science of the breastfeeding relationship! I am passionate about giving parents the information and support they need to make the best choices for their breastfeeding journey.
Why encapsulate or seek breastfeeding support with A Conscious Beginning:
- Trained in the PBi (TCM) method of placenta encapsulation.
- I allow only one placenta in my home at a time, so cross contamination is not an issue.
- All equipment is washed, sanitized, and sterilized according to strict OSHA and EPA guidelines.
- Food Safety Certification granted by the provincial government.
- IBCLC (read more about what an IBCLC is: Impact of Breastfeeding).
- Member of International Lactation Consultant Association (ILCA).
- Member of Canadian Lactation Consultant Association (CLCA).
- Member of British Columbia Lactation Consultants Association.
- Graduated from Seattle University with a Bachelor degree of Social Work in March 2007 (with an emphasis on child psychology and human development).
- Reiki Master.